Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Life Is Beautiful - 3

Read part 1 here

Mark and Sally were holding their hands tight as they sat in the flight. The day Saraswati talked about in the letter flashed in front of their eyes. Eyes that looked at infinity.

Sally was cleaning up things at Saraswati's room. Her daughter hated it and always asked her not to touch anything but then Sally never listened. As she was arranging the books scattered everywhere, an envelope took her attention. It read some gynaecologist. As she opened the contents, she was still - her daughter was three months pregnant. She tried to hide it from Mark before talking to Saraswati, but as always, Mark knew with her voice that she had something to share. As Saraswati returned home in evening, she saw the report served at dining table and she knew she was in trouble. The trouble was not that he was pregnant, the problem was that she had not told her cuties about it. In a country like India, it was a sin I be pregnant before  marriage and almost impossible to be a single mother.
Before she could be asked anything, she tried to cover up - "Mummy, I did not know what to say to you!".
"Look dear, you lied to us".
"I did not lie. I just did not tell you."
"No, you lied. Remember we asked you about your exhausted energy some time back; you said it was just work pressure"
"Ok, I am sorry."
"Sorry! Do you think it's that simple? You know what names you would be called upon in few days. You have ruined your life, atleast in this city in India".
"ok. It's my life and I have ruined it myself. Please do not tell me what's wrong. I can take care of myself"
Sensing that it was getting bitter, Sally tried to intervene and calm down.
"Dear, we are not blaming you neither trying to interfere. It's just that we are worried about you".
"It's my life and I should be one worried about it. Please leave me alone."
Saraswati yelled and closed her door. The parents were left standing without words and hurt. They could not figure our the reason for such drastic change in their daughter. Whatever it was, they could not take it.
Next morning, when Saraswati woke up, she found  message on the table about Sally and Mark's leaving her alone as she asked. 

"Attention please! All passengers are requested to put in their seat belts as we are about to las at Indira Gandhi International Airport New Delhi"
Mark helped Sally to tie her seat belt and waited for the arrival. Both of them could not wait to see the apple of their eye and find out the reason which led her to do a thing that's not in her nature - admit her mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment