Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Life Is Beautiful - Final Part

Read Part 1 here

The doorbell rang and there entered Reha. She greeted Sally and Mark cheerfully.  She was the most beautiful child they had ever seen. Reha asked in surprise, "Granny, did you get my letter?”
'So, she wrote it! I knew it was not Saraswati.", noted Mark.
What happened to their daughter was still a question. The bedroom opened in the meanwhile and Reha ran to hug her mother stating she returned earlier today. Saraswati kissed her and gave a tight hug to her parents. She knew they had a lot of questions. She did not wait for them to speak and spoke - "Mom, I am so sorry for everything. I made Roohi wrote that letter to you. I was too weak to hold the pen that day."
"No baby, we are sorry. Children are bound to mistakes. It's the parents who should understand and decide when to give or withdraw their support. And we are guilty of not being able to do so.", Sally said with tears in her eyes.
"Dad, I need your help. Promise me that you would love Reha as much as you love me."
Mark wanted to interrupt but Saraswati continued.
"I feel that god has punished me for hurting you. Dad, I have been diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. In short, my body has stopped producing blood.".
Sally could not take it more and burst out, "So what? There must be some cure!".
"There is, but it's not working. I go not have much time.", Saraswati looked at the little angel who of purse had no idea why everyone was crying. She was just looking at everyone in surprise.

***

Several days had passed and Saraswati's health was deteriorating continuously. Reha was happy to be with her grandparents. Like any other child, her tantrums had double folded in their presence.
Sally and Mark did not know how to help their daughter. They often wondered that this was their time to say adieu to works: not their young daughter. Then on second thoughts, they were also reminded to take better care of themselves whenever they saw Reha. The poor child had no idea what she had in store when it came to mother's love. They had learned to laugh again after they left earlier. They thought that life was beautiful. And now, they thought the opposite.
One morning, as Sally entered Saraawati's bedroom, she found her smiling. She asked her about the reason; but did not get an answer. It was in few minutes that she realized that her daughter was gone. She has a notepad in her lap and another letter - this time in her own handwriting.

Dear Cuties,
This is my last letter for you. I have written some for Reha and kept them in the closet. Please hand one of them to her whenever you feel she is missing me. I am sure that with you around her, it won't be required.
You know, I always wondered why you left me at my small remark did.  Why did you scold me too much? Why did you ask so many questions?
Why was it important for you know each and everything about me?
Why did you stay awake when I was out?
And many more why's...
Ever since Reha came in my lap, I have all the answers by myself. I never missed a chance to let her know about you. She always wanted to see you. She always asked me that why do they not live with us?
After you left and I was all by myself,   I felt alone and dejected first. Gradually, when my loneliness turned into solitude, I realised my blunder. I always needed you. I always needed your interference.
After I am gone, all I request you is to groom Reha just like you groomed me. Let her find her own existence like you set me free.
Please wash away those tears and recite your favroite lines - Life Is Beautiful.

-Your Saraswati

*The end*
*The new beginning*


No comments:

Post a Comment