Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Monday, September 15, 2014

The Prostitute's Daughter or The Runaway Daughter by Juliet Philip

This book entered into my bookshelf by chance. I was looking through a book store trying to find a book that I can gift my friend and I saw "The Prostitute's  Daughter'. With a name like that, it hard to escape attention.

The book is originally known as "The Runaway Daughter". "The Prostitute's Daughter" is the version which is released in India.

It's a story of 16 year old Kamada, daughter of a high profile prostitute. The girl leaves no stone unturned to escape her mothers name forever. Apart form her a in life, to escape from India, the little soul has to deal with secret of her father, lost relationships. She uses her imagination and daydreaming to divert her mind, but at the same time, very determined in not letting herself forget her target.

I found the book ok. Initially, I was actually taken aback by the over the top exaggeration  of her Imagination. But i was hooked to it once  I reached middle. The story was short and simple.

I also like she cover of book. The French pony tail truly represents an average girl who might or might not succeed in her plans.

My favourite part of the book was when Kamada left her house in outrage hungry and broken. The author has do aptly narrated real feelings of human. I have always failed to understand how people go hungry when they are feeling low. Feeding one's body is an essential. Thus, the rats in Kamada's belly and the thirst to eat that delicious snack the moment she stepped out might sound funny, but that's the basic human nature.
The example of women being molested in public by sick men and the feelings of victimized girl was also very nicely written

The ability of 16 year old to diver her mind in between the biggest problems of her life and let the non living things do the talking, and making humour of it looked a bit indigestible to me. That was the only issue I had.

Yes, I do have some lines form the book which are worth rereading. Read my favourite lines from "The Prostitute's Daughter" or "The Runaway Daughter" here.

Otherwise, the author Juliet has penned down a beautiful fairy tale story.

What amount of effort would do you put up in reaching your dreams?  How did you like the book? Would you go ahead and read it after my thoughts on it? Write your heart/mind in comments section. I would be glad to read out your end of thinking on the book.

1 comment: