Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Birth Control Responsibility


While the Indian government is having a tough time controlling the population ever since, women in the country are facing yet another issue - The Responsibility of Birth Control. And yes, this topic is rarely talked about.
When it comes to taking on the responsibility of contraception, the proud men of house generally take a back seat. Surprisingly, science has also been in favour of male counterparts. Let's Take look at the most common contraceptive options available to women:
Pills
Sterilisation
IUD - Intrauterine Device popularly known as copper-T
There are other options aswell, but again mass of population is not aware about them.
And the options available for males - Condoms and Sterilisation.

Honestly speaking, I am yet to personally find a man who went under the knife and opted for sterilisation. Condoms - times are surely changing, but still for most couples, men try and avoid them as much as possible.  Here are some statements I have heard my friends telling me they hear:
You won't get pregnant on the first time itself. (Mostly for first nights)
I would not come inside, you know my self control.
The fun and enjoyment becomes half with this.
We can go for the emergency contraceptive this time!

It totally depends upon individual choice of couples that who wants to take up the responsibility, but  the bitter truth is that generally it's transferred to the lady. I absolutely see no harm in that unless it causes any health problems to the woman, but the fact is that pregnancy involves two people and both must share the responsibility.

Many women end up taking the task because of course the consequences affect women on a much larger scale then men and after all it's their own body. At the same time, many men very irresponsibly skip it because the results would not affect them very much. It is this mentality which is the concern and need to be addressed.

This post is written as a part of April 2015 A to Z Challenge. My theme for this year is 'WOMEN and ISSUES AROUND THEME'. Click at the link to check other common issues women face in and their respective links.

1 comment:

  1. Personally even if there were more contraceptive options for men I wouldn't ask my partner to take one because my birth control also controls my period. I know this is true for many other women as well, but there are just as many women who have terrible hormonal reactions to birth control and I do think we should be pushing for more viable contraceptives for men.

    ReplyDelete