Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sibling Love

Siblings - the only two or more enemies who can be your best friends ever.

I still remember the fierce fights I used to have with my brother. The horrible fights among my cousins also now seem fun. Today, I myself have two sons. When I conceived my second baby, everyone kept telling me that the elder one (2.5 years then) would become very possessive and would throw tantrums as he would feel jealous of the attention given to little one. Thankfully, by grace of God, little kiddo is not showing any of the signs many people warned me. In fact, he loves his little brother and boasts that he is his "Big Brother".



We did not work very hard but just kept in my few things in order to do the magic:

PREPARE HIM: Let your child know that the baby is coming well in advance so that it's not a surprise for him. This would also help you keep him cautious about the baby bump. My son was so excited about the baby in my tummy that he even used to play doctor-2 with me and pretend-cure the baby in mummy's tummy.

TELL HIM HE IS GOING TO BE BIG: All babies want to become big boys and girls. Teach him that he would become big brother as the baby come. Ask them that the little baby would be very small and he would need to help mummy in keeping him safe. It would also reduce your work a bit as he:she might help you pick those things when you do not want to get up.

ASK HIM TO TALK TO THE BABY IN WOMB: We all know that parents are advised to talk to baby in the womb to make that bond stronger. The same applies to elder sibling. Ask them once in a while to recite that new poem he learnt in school to the baby and tell him that baby liked it very much as it moved inside. My son used to ask me very frequently if the baby is moving and used to kiss my bump every now and then. He also used to assure the baby that he would be there to take care of him.

DO LET HIM KNOW THAT HE IS YOUR BEST BABY: Let your kid know that he is till your best baby and you live him the most. Kids always want to be the most loveable person on planet. I have been hugging my son and telling him that I love him. After the birth of his younger brother, I tell him that he is my most gorgeous baby and I love him most. Surprisingly, he then replies that the little baby is also my best baby and love him also. He looks so cute when he says that mummy now you have two boys.

PAY HIM A LITTLE EXTRA ATTENTION: While you are busy taking care of little one, do not let the elder one feel neglected. Actually, he now needs a bit extra attention. I now play more with him whenever I get time. He should know that nothing has changed with the arrival of another baby in house. Let him know time to time that he would have a friend to play with once the baby grows a bit big, all kids love friends.

While the above tips might not work all the time, some tweaks here and there would definitely make new parents life easier. With time, those innocent souls would become best of friends - remember, best friends are the ones with whom we quarrel the worst!

More articles on the subject can be found at link - Child and You

I am participating in the ‘Ready For Rewards’ activity for Rewardme in association with BlogAdda.

No comments:

Post a Comment