Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Bold Step Which Changed My Life

This story belongs to the person who had been very close to me ever since I was born. I have heard about his struggles in bits and pieces within gossips and general discussions. Although I am not sure if he felt the same as I have written, but I have tried my best to put myself into his shoes and narrate the story.

I was always the spoiled brat in my family. My friend circle included most naughty and mischievous kids around. My heart never gave in studies and I barely managed to pass the exams while my siblings topped them.
I still remember the day when a piece of broken glass pierced through my foot while running behind the kite. Till date I curse that glass which made the kite slip away from my hands. It was the kite whose string had been cut by my special string and thus belonged to myself and none else. Bu that small piece of broken glass made be limb instead of run.
Friends are the best gift we can ever give ourselves. Friends can make as-well as break us from within and outside. I had friends who were ready to die for me. That does not mean they were any step back in killing me for fun. I discovered this the day I was left unconscious and taken to doctor in emergency. The doctors did some tests and the result was that I had consumed excess of a drug called – ‘Afeem’. No, I was not an addict or tried anything for adventure. I had no idea how my best friends made me consume that dangerous powder.
Time passed and somehow I was recruited in Delhi Police Force as a sub-inspector. A sub-inspector in Delhi Police was one of the most looked upon jobs in early 1980’s. I was soon married just like any middle-class boy. My parents were now relaxed and satisfied that finally I was settled with a good job and married happily. Reporting to and working under some authoritative officers was getting over my head. I had always been a free bird and could not work for some one. I wanted to be my own boss.
I roamed around all in blank. I sat with my friends discussing what we wanted to do with our lives. Looking Up had never been so difficult and required much deeper thinking than it seemed.
Finally, I left the so called government job which left my parents fuming. Who in this world does that? I was declared irresponsible and useless. I wanted to start my own business. The thing that made it more difficult was that I wanted to do it along with my childhood best friends. My father declared that he is not going to help me. I was left helpless and stranded. It’s a bitter truth that money making needs money. Some capital is required to start the business. I had none.  It was then when I realized that it’s easy to blame fate and slouch upon. The right attitude is what it takes to follow your dreams. I knew that I am a dreamer.
Greatest Pleasure In Life - Motivation - Walter Bahehot
Image Source

Then I received the most unexpected help I had ever imagined. I had only seen it happening in Bollywood movies. My wife sold her jewelry! Yes, she did it. I still wonder if she did it because she believed me or she had faith in me. But she took the bold step and handed me the much required currency. I knew she was one lady who believed in show off and now she had nothing. Ornaments in those days were considered the best show-off for women. That day, I told her – “I promise that one day I would get you double that what you have lost today.”
I along with my friends started the business. We worked really hard. We spent many nights getting the trucks loaded and unloaded. The whole neighborhood would know the moment I stepped out of home and entered into the street – thanks to the bullet I got while I was a good boy working 9 to 5. Slowly and steadily the business worked well and from the useless spoilt brats, we emerged into well looked upon business men.

Today, my wife proudly says that I kept my promise and returned her load in triples and fourths instead of doubles. This was my bold step to break free from a job I never loved and follow my heart. My better half took the step ahead with me to start a new life.

2 comments: