Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Monday, November 18, 2019

Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson


The Blurb:  Saudi Arabian princess clad in riches and hidden behind her black veil, Sultana talks about the dark, hidden secrets she had to live with, in her past and about the living treacheries bestowed upon women in Saudi Arabia.
With no freedom to take her own decisions and known only as a bearer of sons, Sultana is the strong woman at the heart of the story in Princess. From her turbulent childhood to her arranged marriage and later being displaced for another wife, Sultana shares her history of the appalling oppression in her everyday life.
From the marriage of 13-year old girls with men five times their age to the killing of young women by stoning, drowning or isolation in the "women's room," the book tells readers how women are left to rot to death in this land. Sultana opens up about the atrocities committed by the Saudi establishment, standing up for right despite the risk of being killed.
Narrating her story to Jean Sasson, Sultana reveals the darkest secrets beyond the veils of the secret society where money, sex and power reign supreme and violation of human rights is commonplace. 
How did I like the book?

Well, this might be one of the most difficult reviews I have written. Like everyone, it’s the claim of being a true story which attracted me to it. If the title was just - “Story of life behind the veil “, leaving out true and Saudi Arabia, would it have made me pick it up? I would say yes.


This book was recommended by my friend Rajshri and I do not remember her mentioning that it’s a true story while doing so. Moral - I would have liked it the same even if it was not claimed to be true.

While most of the restrictions and practices were already either heard or read somewhere, reading them as an overall subject with surrounding details made my heart wrench. I made sad faces, frowned, gasped in awe at quite a few incidents mentioned in the story. Not because I was surprised or shocked, but because I could relate them to some character.

The author has been able to strike the chord at right places most of the times using easy and simple language.

What I did not like:

Editing - I am not sure the pages, but there were a few sentences I could notice which needed better editing.
Rushed up - There were a few sections which felt very hurried and more detailing could have made them much interesting and gripping.
Have a few more related to Sultana’s reactions - but I am assuming that I might get the answers in next two series. I do not want to state them to avoid spoiler.


It would be hard to mention my favorite chapter of the one which touched me most. After a certain time, I lost noting down much details. The ones I noted, “My sister Sara” made me stop and think for quite some time.

I would recommend anyone to read this book not for my culture or religion, but for the plight of some women in the name of same. This stand true for almost all religions and I am sure every culture has one or other myth or misconception women have or had faced sometime in past.



There are many controversies around the authenticity of story. Many of them answer themselves in further series - still many remains questionable. Read a few reviews, stay away from spoilers- many of them do not even warn of the same, and make your choice. From me, it’s a gripping read.

Would I pick up the other books in series? I would say that I might go for them sometime.

Follow the link below to read my favorite lines:
Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson

Also, if you decide to give the book a shot, follow the links from amazon as below:

          

I may get a small commission if you purchase using them - WITHOUT YOU BEING CHARGED AN EXTRA PENNY.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing such a great article.Book for love is another level of hobby. I got monthly book subscription and get amazing books monthly.

    ReplyDelete