Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Promise me Same



Written in response to Facebook page - Wings Of Change prompt - Beginning

She got up earlier than usual. If someone had noticed her through night, would have bet she did not sleep. Yet, she looked fresh as morning dew. The big palace like house was almost empty. Even the servants had gone. Flower garlands were hanging everywhere, but only few relatives were there. She went straight to the kitchen and looked for pan when she suddenly noticed him on the stove. "princesses do not work one their due day.", he said with a sparkling smile. She responded with  the same smile and went back to her room.
"Radha", her father had given her this name as she decided to arrive n this world on the day of Janmashtmi.   She was raised like a normal girl child like any middle class family. At beaming age of twenty five, she thought she had a fairy tale life. Her world stood still and became black and white on the very day of her birthday when the big trunk draped in tri-colour was dropped at front door of her house. Yet, she refused to believe that the live of her life had sacrificed his life to the loved his country.
The whole family has been begging her to shed some tears. At-lest  for the ale of culture if not for love. 'Culture' and 'ritual', the lives she had never taken care seriously. The new love of her life, the man who always stood by her side holding her by shoulders had made sure that the storm of those two words never touch her. She so wanted to touch his feet every morning- out of utter love and respect. He would never ever allow her to do so. He always said. "Culture was build to help children, not force them follow.". He followed rituals only if he liked him. "Daughters never touch parents feet.", was one of the rituals he liked. Daughter in law  had the word daughter before in-law.
It had taken him two years to convince his new daughter to move ahead in her life. These wolfs would not let you live my love after me. He had fought with whole town and his own better half for the decision. When finally things took a better turn, he knew a handful would be there to support him. Yet, through all odds, he found a man just like himself. There could not be a better half other than him for Radha.
Today, was the day he would marry his daughter. Radha went to her room and asked Ruchi to get up and get ready for the haldi. "Dear, you have to look most beautiful princess today.". Ruchi woke up at once and asked Radha to join her in the pool. She insisted as it was her haldi as-well. "Bhabhi, papa choose the same day for both of us thinking that people would come atleast for me, if not for you.". "And they have come dear, look, there are some ladies downstairs doing the preparations.", smiled

Radha.
"Yes, three if them".
Both of them hugged each other and wore the bright yellow dress.
The whole day passed by like a second. Inside the room were two glowing brides waiting for their departure to new lives.
Ruchi slipped a letter in Radha's hands before sitting in her doli. The letter which finally made Radha shed a tear -

Dear Radha,
Yes, I must not call you Bhabhi. Today, I want to confess that I hated you so much when you came to our home. I was the only princess of this palace when a new pearl of my father's eye suddenly came out of that flower glad car. When I complained of his divided love, he always said that elder child is always more near to patents and I would get to know it when I have my own.
It's very unfortunate that I realised everything when we lost our man. I list my protecting shield and you lost your everything. Today, I feel so proud to be my father's daughter and your younger sister. You kept his promise of not crying in any situation. After all, bhai went away protecting his first love. Obviously, he would not like if we feel sad about his decision so near to him.
I know, you are feeling sad from inside and feel guilty of spoiling mh marriage along with you. Believe me Radha, it's not spoiled. It was the best wedding I could ever have. Papa had his chest filled with pride and for the first time in three years, I did not find him smiling sadly on the stars.
I needn't say this, but I must because I know maa had not spoken to you.
Please embrace the happiness with open arms and never ever forget that you are and would always be the elder princess of our house. Don't worry about me. Rahul loves me more than bhai loved you.
Welcome Radah, welcome the new beginning.

She read the last libe sitting her her new palace. She did not notice that her groom had been standing there for 10 minutes. The pearl had almost fallen over golden stone in her finger when a hand stopped it. "Some one told me that you promised not to do so. Please swear it again.".

Do you keep your promises? What promise would you ask to your loved ones? Drop in your views in the comments section.

2 comments:

  1. Some spelling mistakes.. :( Emotions nicely put..in such situations I guess it is less difficult to ignore what others think but more difficult to let go the past and move on. The ending was beautiful ..I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megha...
      for both the prompt and review...:)

      Delete